How do I use Freading eBooks? What devices are supported?
Freading requires a Warren-Trumbull County Public Library card in good standing.
A free Adobe Digital Editions account is also required. Adobe Digital Editions is a software program that manages your downloads and helps to transfer eBooks to many devices. To use Adobe Digital Editions, you’ll need a Windows or Mac computer or laptop that meets Adobe’s system requirements.
In addition to your computer, there are many popular devices that are compatible with Freading eBooks, including:
- Barnes & Noble Nook
- Apple iPad and iPhone
- Most Android-based tablets and smartphones
- Kobo eReader
- Sony Reader
Note that Amazon’s Kindle does not yet support Freading eBooks.
What are tokens, and how do I use them?
Tokens are Freading’s virtual currency that are exchanged for eBook downloads. At the start of each week, you are given 6 download tokens.
Each eBook download costs between 1 and 4 tokens (a value chosen by the book’s publisher). In most cases, the newest books and most popular books cost 4 tokens, with less recent and classic books costing less.
Unused tokens roll over each week for four weeks. At the end of four weeks, unused tokens are removed and a new four week period of rollover begins. Your current number of tokens appears in the upper right hand corner of the page once you’ve logged in.
How long do I have the eBook for? Can I renew it?
Freading eBooks check out for two weeks at a time. You can extend the loan period for another two weeks by visiting the book’s page on the Freading site and clicking Download again. While some renewals cost 1 token, most renewals are free.
Does Freading have apps for smartphones?
Can I use Freading eBooks on more than one device at a time?
Adobe Digital Editions allows users to transfer one eBook to multiple devices, so you’re welcome to read on both your computer and your smartphone, for example.
How often are new eBooks added?
New eBooks are added to Freading every week.
There is a known issue with the compatibility of Adobe Digital Editions and Mac OSX Lion.
If you are experiencing a problem with Adobe Digital Editions and are using Mac OSX Lion, you may be able to resolve the issue by manually installing Adobe Digital Editions for Mac OS.
How to manually install Adobe Digital Editions for Mac OS:
- Finish installing or uninstalling any other applications.
- Uninstall any earlier versions of Adobe Digital Editions.
- Download the installer package for your Mac OS X machine:
- Intel-based Mac: Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 for Intel-based Mac
- Mac PPC: Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 for Mac PPC
Note: If you clicked the wrong Mac OS X platform, an error message appears. Close the message box and click the correct link to restart the installation.
- Click Open in the File Download screen to start the installation. Note: If your connection times out, click Save, instead of Open, to save the installer package to your desktop.
- If necessary, unzip the .zip file. If you're using Safari as your browser, or if Firefox is set up to unzip files, the file unzips automatically
- Double-click the .pkg file to start the installer, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: If your connection times out, save the installer package to your desktop. (Click the link for your Mac OS X machine, and then click Save.) Double-click the file to start the installation.
If you have any comments or questions about this service or continue to experience a problem, please contact us at email@example.com.